About Me

My photo
Santa Barbara, CA, United States
Hi, my name is Kara. I'm kind of a nerd. But I like to think that that's a good thing. Anywho, welcome to my thoughts.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

BEDA 13: Fungus

We looked at all kinds of fungi in bio lab tonight. It was kind of fun. And a little bit smelly. Actually, every lab this quarter has been smelly. This quarter is all about phylogeny, and we've gotten through bacteria, protists, and fungi so far. Which means lots of looking through the microscope at wet mounts of things that were growing in petri dishes.

I don't mind it though. I'm getting pretty darn good at using the microscopes too. Not that I couldn't do it before, but now I'm even better at it. Yay biology lab. If I'm going to be an EEMB major, it's probably good to be good at microscopes. I'm also very good at plating samples. That's of course due to my time in microbiology at the Oroville Hospital lab. My medical ROP class I took junior year may not have solidified my career plans, but I did learn two nice concrete skills- I can take an accurate blood pressure without too much difficulty, and I can plate a culture and make it pretty. Yay.

I've used both of those skills in biology lab this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment