About Me

My photo
Santa Barbara, CA, United States
Hi, my name is Kara. I'm kind of a nerd. But I like to think that that's a good thing. Anywho, welcome to my thoughts.

Friday, April 8, 2011

BEDA 8: I found a new show to waste my time watching!

Show review time! Or something.

I watched the entire 1st and possibly only season (13 episodes) of this new Medical Drama called Off the Map, within the last... um. Day. Yeah. I pretty much have done nothing but watch TV on my computer, go to class, and sleep in the last day. Oh, Kara.

Off the Map is kind of like... halfway between Grey's Anatomy and Lost. Actually, it's kind of like the episodes of ER where Carter decides he's too angsty for America and goes to Africa (okay, that might be simplifying that a bit). And the Africa episodes are some of my favorite ER episodes, so that kind of points toward me liking this new jungle doctors show.

The basic premise of the show is that there's a bunch of attractive and brilliant but angsty doctors working in a clinic in a remote area of... well, somewhere in South America. My best guess is that it's a fictional country either to the north or south of Peru. Anyway, there's 3 really experienced doctors (Ben, Zee, and Dr. Cole) who have been there forever, 3 brand new doctors (Lily, Tommy, and Mina) who have just come from the US, and then well Ryan doesn't really fit into either of those categories, but she's there too. So they all practice medicine in the jungle, which is half taking care of villagers and tourists with minor illnesses and injuries, and half running off into the jungle to save the life of terribly mangled accident victims.

The show mostly works. I mean, pretty much every character needs a good hard kick in the shins to maybe get them to make better decisions in their personal lives, but that's pretty standard for TV characters. Overall, everyone is at least bearable. The jungle medicine is kind of fun. If there is a second season, which from looking at the ratings seems unlikely, I'll probably watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment