About Me

My photo
Santa Barbara, CA, United States
Hi, my name is Kara. I'm kind of a nerd. But I like to think that that's a good thing. Anywho, welcome to my thoughts.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

BEDA 2: I whine about Grey's Anatomy's music thing (minimal spoilers, if you care)

So, Saturday.

I got up at like 10:00 this morning, for no particular reason. That is really weird for me, for a Saturday. Then I went to a baseball game. I'll talk about that some other day. Oh, and I made a youtube video. I hadn't posted anything on my Youtube for way too long.

Now, however, I would like to talk about a certain TV show that you may have heard of, called Grey's Anatomy.

They started hyping this big Musical Event a few months ago. I generally like Grey's Anatomy, and I figured that they could have some fun with a musical episode. Musical episodes tend to be fun; Once More With Feeling is one of the truly great episodes of Buffy, and the Scrubs musical episode gave us Guy Love, which is quite possibly the most hilarious song in the history of music. Then I learned that Grey's was doing a "Let's have the cast sing these songs we've used as background in the show over the years." That made me a bit skeptical, but I figured it could still be fun.

I guess it was fun. But they went for about as angsty of a plot as they could, and then shoved some music in there kind of haphazardly. Yeah, we get it, Sara Ramirez is a good singer. Kevin McKidd has got some serious sexy voice going on, and we were already aware that Chandra Wilson could sing. The rest of the cast also sounded fine, if a little autotuned at times. So I didn't have any real problems with the music itself. It was just the way the randomly shoved it in, and left it more or less unclear why? I guess we could have expected that- the show has a long history of plot lines that make you wonder whether or not they were meant to be supernatural.

Either way, it was super cheesy. I was unimpressed, for the most part, and laughed through many scenes that were supposed to be totally serious. The parts I liked were when they actually decided to lighten it up for a few minutes. Even though most of the iconic Grey's Anatomy music is from the angsty parts, it does not mean that having the characters break out into angsty song does the angsty show justice.

One more thing- they had Owen (Kevin McKidd and his sexy voice) start out How to Save a Life. Soooo not suited to his voice. Really.

Verdict: Decent idea. Lots of potential. Poorly executed.

No comments:

Post a Comment