About Me

My photo
Santa Barbara, CA, United States
Hi, my name is Kara. I'm kind of a nerd. But I like to think that that's a good thing. Anywho, welcome to my thoughts.

Monday, April 4, 2011

BEDA 4: Is longboarding dangerous?

I just realized that it's almost 10:30 and I haven't blogged yet! At this rate, I'm going to start missing days pretty soon. But that's not going to happen, it's just a Monday, and that makes me lazy. Yay laziness.

So, besides increasing laziness, what will I talk about tonight? My little brother broke his ankle longboarding today. So I guess that sucks, but I don't feel too terribly sorry for him. Longboarding is one of those things you go into expecting that you will get hurt. There's a lot of people at my school who longboard, and it's not an uncommon sight to see guys on boards with a cast on one arm. I'm pretty careful, and haven't had too bad of luck with it, but I have lost skin quite a few times, and gotten some nasty-ish bruises. I also broke a shoelace once. That was kind of weird.

So, longboards- fun mode of transportation, or dangerous source of injury for teens and young adults? I say, both. There is definitely inherent risk in standing on top of a board with four little wheels, which can go thirty or fourty miles per hour under the right circumstances. You just need to recognize that it is a bit risky, and try to stay within reasonable limits.

No comments:

Post a Comment